Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Paintings over the weekend

I worked on several paintings over the weekend. Which means I really didn't get anything else done, anything such as; there was no cooking done, no cleaning done, no shopping done. Just a bunch of paintings. Oh and a little this and that but let's talk about the paintings. They are much more interesting.

Galveston and Nessa paintings
I finished the painting of Nessa. This one took the least amount of time. All I did was change the background color. The green makes the painting seem a little less angry. It is hanging on my drying wall. Along with the Galveston painting. About the drying wall, I have found that hanging the paintings in various stages of doneness means I can work on more paintings at one time. I have an easel and an art table. If I kept a half done painting on each than I couldn't work on anything else until these were dry enough to work on some more. If I hang them I can start two more in the meantime. It is all about rotation and efficiency.

Guiding
I finally finished this one. For a little 11 x 14 it took forever. All that those grid lines were a nightmare. I do like the way the dad and boy turned out. This is a commission piece that I'll be sending out on Saturday. The owner will be happy to see it. She's been waiting a long time. Our move totally screwed the timeline on this painting.

Caleb
I drew out this one. It will be the second gray scale painting I will have done in the last 12 months. Once I get started this one shouldn't take too long. This is the way I start paintings. I draw in a brief outline just to get perspective. I use to free hand this process or basically just start in with paint but I found that I was having to go over a lot of paint. This saves time and paint and frustration.

Peace
If you are friends with me on Facebook (and if not why?) you would have seen the progression of this painting from drawn in to partly done to this stage. It still has a lot of work but I think it is really coming along.

The last two are photographs that a couple of my Facebook friends posted. I borrowed them as inspiration. Just an FYI to all my Facebook friends...Your photos might become my inspiration. At least I ask permission first.

Oh another FYI to my friends that I steal borrow from, you are under no obligation to buy the painting unless you want to but I am one of the cheapest painters you'll ever encounter.

That is how I spent my weekend. We went to the RV Show on Saturday. I still have to process the photos from that this week. We were pretty amazed at how fancy RVs have gotten.

How was your weekend?

Love,
M




11 comments:

  1. You seriously have some mad skillz, woman! :) I love the background change on the Nessa painting - you're right, it does make her less 'angry' looking...as if she could ever look angry! ;) And that 'guiding' one is phenomenal!! As is the one you've gotten started for Jen. Absolutely beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guiding has been difficult. Jen's has been easy. Not exactly sure why one is easier than the other. I keep telling myself it is the grids that are so hard.

      Delete
  2. You do great work. I wish Nick could get back into painting, but I think that will have to wait until small boys need less direct attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll get back into it when the time is right. I didn't start painting until about 5 years ago. Just after I started my blog actually.

      Delete
  3. I meant to tell you how much I love the painting of the guitarist. And I recognize the people in the "Peace" painting - it's simply marvelous, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is coming along isn't it. I need to start something for my oldest boy and his wife soon. Maybe next weekend. I'm still not "feeling" the photograph I picked out for them. *sigh*

      Delete
  4. All your paintings are awesome but Nessa's......
    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the last one. Very Paul Gauguinish. You are filling it better too. Hard to tell if you are getting more buildup in the paint from a photo though.
    Do you have issues with some sizes of canvas. Me, I've taken a dislike of square 18inch ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was just the first session. As I fill it in the paint will build up and give the whole thing some nice texture. I seem to yield towards impressionism and this one will be no different. As to canvas size, I do seem to have a preference. I like most everything over 16 x 20 inches.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes it is. I am liking it so much I want to get right back to it. Unfortunately, I have to let it dry some before I can. Dang, slow drying oil paint.

      Delete