Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Cashew Crusted Goat Cheese over Zucchini Noodles

We love goat cheese and use it in a multiple of ways. We love its tart and creamy yummy goodness. This recipe makes the most of the tartness of goat cheese, the salty crunchiness of the cashews and the sweetness of a balsamic vinegar reduction. 

This recipe makes a perfect meatless Monday dish though we had it on Saturday and the leftovers with eggs for Sunday breakfast. JR loves balsamic vinegar reduction. I'm pretty sure he'd eat it on a flip flop if I'd serve it that way. But, of course, as everyone knows flip flops are best served with guacamole. 

This recipe has the longest title but the shortest cooking time ever. Go figure.

Crappiest photo. Tastiest dinner


Cashew Crusted Goat Cheese over Zucchini Noodles

Ingredients:
2 medium sized zucchini (somewhere less than 10 inches long)
1 cup balsamic vinegar (best quality you can get)
6 ounces Chevre goat cheese
2 tablespoons milk or cream or liquid of your choice
1 cup salted cashews, chopped
Olive oil to coat baking sheet

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a saucepan bring balsamic vinegar to a boil, stirring constantly. When it begins to boil turn down to medium low. Simmer until liquid reduces by half, stirring frequently. You do not want this to burn. Burnt vinegar smells and tastes nasty. When done set on very low until ready to drizzle. 


While vinegar is doing its thing.

Chop cashews in food processor. Don't do this too finely. So I guess I should say roughly chop. Four or five pulses of the food processor ought to do it. Spread chopped nuts on a small plate. 


Mix goat cheese and milk together until it is a soft paste. If your goat cheese is already soft then you may not have to do this. What you are looking for is something that can be molded into a rounded patty. Divide into four sections. As you make  each patty, press into chopped nuts, coating both sides. Place on greased baking sheet. Continue until you've done all four. Place in pre-heated oven. Bake until golden brown. About 20 minutes.


Using a potato peeler, peel ribbons of zucchini. Working all the way around the zucchini until you get to the seeds. Stop there. Not one to throw anything away save the seeded part for some other purpose. Heat a large pot of salted water to just under a boil. Put zucchini ribbons into the water for about 2 or 3 minutes. You don't want to really cook them, just warm them up. So do this just before you are about to take the goat cheese out of the oven.


To plate: fish out zucchini from the water and place on plates. Top with a cheese patty. Drizzle with balsamic reduction. Serve while cheese is still warm. 

Serves 4
Approximate per Serving Stats:




calories: 354   Carbs:   21  Fat: 27    Protein: 14



This recipe presents fancier than it is. Which makes it prefect for parties. Make smaller patties, plate the whole thing up on salad size plates and keep warm in a very slow oven. 



7 comments:

  1. I thought flip-flops were best served with creamed spinach?

    This made my stomach rumble so loudly, I think they heard it in the next office sweet. I will SO have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan: you are right, flip-flops are best with creamed spinach but avocados would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm.....creamed spinach. I know what I'm having for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I have discovered goat cheese, I have been gravitating towards it on menus. I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I actually like goat cheese this is something I might be willing to try!

    - Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! This sounds so yummy. Now it is all I want for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I disagree, I like my flip flops with hummus.

    ReplyDelete