Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Zucchini Pancakes

I wrote this post, like eightygillion years ago. Okay, maybe not eightygillion but when you travel a lot it feels like that. I did have it all set up to post last Monday with the exception of the photo but things got hectic and you all know how that goes. So, here you go, last Monday's post this Monday. That makes it almost the same.

I scored some sweet looking zucchini at the farmers market last week that needed to be used, and quickly. I'm leaving town Wednesday morning (going to Baltimore, if you are close please let me know. We'll meet up. totally ignore this line.) so would not have time to do much with this stuff.

I had made fritters the evening before that were a major hit with the family but that still left me with an over-abundence of zucchini (or as they call it here Italian squash)



Recipe

2 cups zucchini, grated
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk, maybe a little more or less
1 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup cream cheese
Add-ins, see below

Mix all ingredients together until just combined. Let sit for a few minutes to let the flour absorb the liquid. Spoon into greased skillet (well seasoned cast iron is the best). Spread around a little to flatten them out. Fry until golden brown on one side, flip and repeat.

Serve warm with sauce appropriate for the add-in. See below or make up your own.
Makes 15 to 16 medium sized pancakes

These would make wonderful appetizers if you cut them into small squares or rounds. About the size of a shot glass. They are firm enough to hold small bites of other food yet soft enough to bite into without breaking apart and sending crumbs and food down the front of your shirt. What? That's never happened to you? Happens to me all the time. I pretty much wear my food. If I had a big enough rack it would land there but I don't so it usually lands on the tummy. It seems that that sticks out far enough. *sigh*


Suggested Add-ins
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper and 1 tsp cumin = serve with thick chunky salsa and sour cream
3 tbs dried mint (double if fresh) = serve with taziki sauce
3 tbs Italian seasoning = serve with basil or sun-dried tomato pesto
no add-in = serve with olive tapenade, mushroom ragout, pico de gallo, etc

Love,
M

PS: Meatless Monday today. Granted everyday that I am home it is meatless and everyday that I travel it is a meat orgy.

9 comments:

  1. Those look good and would go really well with bacon and sausage. Cheers Michele!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you had me until you got to the flour part. Ah, well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan: any binder will do. I'm not sure what though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I should have made this instead of buttermilk pancakes on Sunday. Oh wait, those were the best I had ever made.
    Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your suggestion to add cayenne and cumin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where were you with this recipe last August??

    Oh well, I have lots of zucchini frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I can fool Princess Nagger into thinking they're just 'regular old pancakes' so she can get a nice dose of veggies! I have to sneak 'em in every way I can, this might just work! :) YUM! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    Hello World - MMMM

    ReplyDelete