Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Treacle Bread

A while back I posted a S'more cookie bar recipe. This cookie has become a big hit at our house. I've made 4 batches of these things using various ingredients. Mostly changing out the chocolate chips to a combination of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips. The homeboy eats these for breakfast. Somehow he has convinced himself that they qualify as a breakfast food.

With the anticipation of making a ton of these things and not knowing how many boxes of graham crackers I would need I high tailed it to my local big box store (Costco) for the ginormous 4 pack box of graham crackers. Little did I know that I would only use a quarter of one box to make all 4 batches.

Now, I ask you what do you do with 3 boxes of graham crackers? My waistline can't tolerate the endless supply of cheesecakes I could make with them. JR wouldn't mind if I spent all weekend making cheesecake but I'm a taster. A little bite here and a little bite there and I've put on 10 pounds. Though I would like to indulge JR's tummy with culinary delights I just can't afford the inches. I have work clothes that I have to get into bye-gollie! It really doesn't look right for me to have the top button of my skirt undone all day. What would people think?

I asked myself, "What can you make with graham crackers except desert?" Then I did what anyone would do; I scoured the internet. What I came up with was Treacle Bread.

Oh sure, you say. Anyone could figure that out. Picture me banging my hand upside my head. Basically, Treacle Bread is Irish Soda Bread made with molasses. I swapped out some of the flour with finely ground graham crackers and cut out the sugar. Once again, I had another hit on my hands.

I served this bread with smoked mozzarella and sun dried tomato risotto, grilled chicken breast (for the guys) and salad.

JR was raised with a father that thought dinner had to include bread. He has embraced this as a rule. I wasn't aware of this rule when we got married 25 years ago. I've since learned it and learned it well.

Bless his heart (and I don't mean that in the Southern way). If serving bread with dinner makes him happy and willing to indulge my every whim; I'll serve bread! (I'm still waiting for the indulgence of my whims)

Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it.

Graham Cracker Treacle Bread

2 tablespoons dark molasses
7 ounces milk
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (finely ground)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Good pinch of ground ginger

Heat gently molasses and milk (be sure not to boil it). Grind/pulse graham crackers in food processor until very fine. About 6 or 8 graham crackers will make 1/2 cup crumbs. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add liquid to dry mixture until a soft dough forms. It will be sticky. Very flourey hands are called for here. Shape into a round cake about 1 1/2 inch thick. To achieve this knead a little flour into the dough very gently. Put on a floured baking sheet. With a floured knife make deep cuts into the dough in an X shape. (These are called farls. Don't ask me why. I'm sure there is some social, ethical, or chemical reason for doing this but I couldn't tell what that is. I just follow the rules I don't make them. ) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Serve warm.

If you give this a try I hope you have the same adoring fans that I did.

BTW, if any of you have a recipe that isn't a desert that would use up the vast quantities of graham crackers I have please send it to me.
I'm desperate here!
How does graham cracker crumb pancakes sound?
Maybe graham cracker & coconut crusted shrimp?

HELP!

Love,
M

2 comments:

  1. I have no dessert-less graham cracker recipes for you! But I will share my favorite way to use up graham crackers. Mound Bars. Graham crust, then coconut and sweetened condensed milk topped with choc/peanut butter. There is the condensed recipe. When baked right they are scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted the complete recipe for Mound Bars on my blog this am. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete