Pages

Friday, June 20, 2008

Victorian humor

I'd like to think that I have a fine sense of humor. I may not but let me have my little fantasy.
What I really don't get is Victorian humor. Maybe, it's cultural, maybe it's an era thing, maybe these are not representative of all Victorians. But I really can't understand how anyone thought this stuff was funny.


The woman looks like a harridan and the husband is totally hen-pecked.
These two cards were sent by my husband's Irish Grand-daddy to his soon to be Irish bride.
And she kept them! Go figure.

I think the guy has a red nose for a reason. I love the kid hitting the little baby with a toy hammer (or at least, I hope it is a toy). Good Grief, does this man have no control?
Look at how many kids he has. Now, my husband comes from an Irish Catholic family and large families are the norm and, true, they had no real decent from of birth control back then.
But who are we trying to kid! This is not romantic. Great-granddaddy was wooing Great-grandma. I can't help but think that she was really grasping at straws in order to get out of Ireland in 1910 to accept this as a romantic gesture. Had JR sent something like this to me from half way around the world I'd have hide from him when he finally shown up.


Get a load of the bathing beauty in this postcard. This one I understand.
Personally, I think she is showing a bit too much leg.
Is that too Victorian of me?

Love,
M


No comments:

Post a Comment