Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Some moving quirks

I have a couple a quirks about moving. Okay, I have a lot of quirks in general but will only enumerate those that have to do with moving. 

1. Shower heads. The first thing that I do when moving into a new space is replace the shower heads. Lots of times I take the one from one place to another but this time we bought a new one for the master bedroom and will move the one in our old master bedroom to the guest room. 

This is the first time that I have investigated the water flow rate. Usually, I just take out the flow restricter valve but the manufacturers have gotten pretty fancy with the design these days that this doctoring much harder. I didn't want to spend an hour and $60 tossing another shower head out because I've messed it up. Hence, the investigation.

I like to buy hand held models for a variety of reasons. One of the reasons is that I find them easier to clean the tub and wash the dog.

We bought this fancy one yesterday after lunch. It is a mid-priced one with a 2.5 gallon per minute flow rate. We'll see if it does the trick. 

2. Feng shui. Yes folks, I am that weirdo. I take the floor plan and over lay the feng shui bagua then design around it.Of course, I never really buy much to achieve this, I normally shop my own stuff.

















3. My studio is almost always set up first. Case in point...the movers don't show up until this coming Saturday but we have already mostly have the studio done. This townhouse is a little tricky since I have to share it with guests but we'll make it work. 

4. Before I pack my old kitchen I ready the new one by putting shelf paper down on all the shelves and drawers. This is something about other people's food crumbs. I have a problem with that and I don't care if the complex has brought in a cleaning crew. I still have to clean and put paper down. I do this with the bathrooms also.

It seems like we have had to move a lot in Houston but we are hoping this will be the last one until we buy a house. I totally get that some of you haven't had to move in forever but if you do what are some of your moving quirks?

Love,
M







9 comments:

  1. I knew a lady who put new toilet seats in when ever she moved. She couldn't stomach sitting where who knew else had sat, so she swapped them out every time she moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the same moving quirks I do - save for the whole Feng shui mode. I haven't adopted that quirk...yet. I do get new shower heads and do the whole clean before moving in (no matter how clean it already is) and put down new shelf paper. The kitchen is usually the first room I get set up. I can't wait to see pictures of your new digs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always toilet seats for me, but shower heads aren't far behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kitchen is ALWAYS the first thing to get unpacked. ALWAYS. Next are the bathrooms and bedrooms; we can sit on the floor if we have to, but I'm not sleeping there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put the contact paper down in rentals too. It just feels safer that way. I also think it's pretty cool that you feng shui the place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this must make life very unstable. Still I suppose if you were moving through work and had to sell a house that'ld be far worse.
    The dragons back, eh, with the feng shui.

    Where's north, and what's the hatching between the kitchen and the LR. And is the light line to denote glass between the garage and the kitchen. And why on earth is there a throne in that region.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not even know how to begin. How do you like your new place? A tiny yard for relaxation and for Nessa?

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! I am really interested in one thing, of course if that's not too much to ask could you please tell us your place of origin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PF,
      Thanks for visiting. I'm located in Houston, TX.
      Michele

      Delete