How could I satisfy the need to stuff my mouth with caprese salad without the pesky use of utensils?
Wrap it in some kind of food.
I've come up with the ultimate (my opinion only) mozzarella stick recipe. It combines the best in a mozzarella stick with the best in a caprese salad.
If I do say so myself, it's frickin' inspired!
Ultimate Crispy Mozzarella Sticks.
- 12 mozzarella sticks. Cut about 1/4 x 1/4 inch sticks. It doesn't have to be perfect. So all you anal retentive types can just dial it back.
- 2 tomatoes. sliced small, seeded
- 12 large or 24 small basil leaves
- 12 won-ton wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten (needed only if you are going to bake them)
- basil pesto
- marinara sauce
- sour cream
- balsamic vinegar (my favorite)
- Slice mozzarella. Seed tomato by cutting it in half and squeezing out the seeds. Slice the gutted tomato halves. Wash basil.
- Set up your stuffing and rolling station.
- Place a piece of mozzarella, a slice of tomato, and a large leaf or 2 of basil (depends on how much you love basil. Me? I used 3 or 4 leaves. Mmmmmm...basil) on one end of an eggroll wrapper.
- Roll once. Fold sides in then continue rolling. When you get to the end dampen the eggroll wrapper with a little water. Finish rolling, making sure that the seam is sealed. You don't want your cheese leaking out.
- Lay seam side down on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Brush each eggroll with the beaten egg.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat oil in a heavy fry pan.
- Turn with a pair of tongs until all four sides are brown.
You'll want to let these cool a little before you bite into them. The hot cheese can burn the roof of your mouth. Take my word for that.
This makes a fantastic Friday Martini and Movie night dish. Nosh, drink, watch. Rinse and repeat.
Give them a try.
PS: remember it is Meatless Monday today.