Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Foodie - Caramelize Onions

Caramelize onions how much do I love your sweet gooey goodness?
I love your ease in preparation.
I love your versatility.
I love your price tag.
I love love love you.



[insert fantastically composed photo of yummy finished product here] I am so lame!



Caramelized Onions
4 or 5 large onions, peeled and cut in half then sliced
about 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil

Peel onions. Cut in half. Slice in about half inch slices.
Pour olive oil into large and deep fry pan.
Heat on medium heat.
Pile on all the onion slices.
Fry slowly until the onions are a caramel brown color. About 45 to 50 minutes. Turning about every 3 to 5 minutes.
Serve immediately or let cool and store in air tight container or OMG toss in some hot pasta and top with pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.
Use in tons of recipes, on burgers (garden for me), or on toasted bread smeared with goat cheese.


Cut and slice onions until tears run from your eyes
then cut some more.





Heat oil.
That is my favorite of all fry pans.
Cast iron is the way to go.
Nice even heat. Especially important when cooking over electric.
Yes, I am a gasophile. Why does that not sound right?
Cooking over gas is the best. Unfortunately I don't have that at this house.
A good cast iron pan helps.
FYI, the spoon rest is a cow. Cute, no?


Toss all those onions into the hot oil pool.
Sure, you'll have some escapees.
Toss them right back in.
Their fate has been sealed.



Cook. Turn. Cook.


Cook. Turn. Cook some more.



Yep, cook some more. Yawn.
Pull one out. Taste. Roll your eyes in ecstasy.



Keep cooking and turning.
I know it get old.
Pour a glass of wine.



Almost done.
Look at those yummy bits.
After we scope this mound of yummy goodness out of the pan
we'll de-glaze it with a little wine.
Red or white it doesn't matter but I prefer white for this application.

Look at that wonderfulness.
Mmmmmmm.......
Scoop out of the pan.
Eat.
By the spoonful if you are like me.


Now that the pan is empty. See all the sugary goodness? Don't scrap that out. Raise the temperature just a bit. To say medium high. Pour in about a half a cup of wine. Reduce the heat to medium low. Reduce by half. Remove from heat. Let it cool. Store in air tight container. Use in gravies, sauces, toss with pasta, mash or toss into potatoes or add to risotto. You will not be sorry.

Hope you enjoy caramelized onions as much as we do.

Love,
M
This would make a terrific part of your meatless Monday meal.

12 comments:

  1. I do, I do, I do enjoy carmelized onions as much as you do! By the spoonful when I can. Funny, I'm just okay with raw onions but love them grilled, roasted, whatever! You made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love caramelized onions especially the sweet ones. They are fabulous on a big juicy burger. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having visions of a fabulous bowl of french onion soup in a bread bowl right now. It's 9 am but I just don't care. I'm starving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think it moved. Cheers Michele!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good ! There's not much better than onions cooked like that !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do! I do! Oh How I do!!!!

    And the idea....hummmm, of pasta and pine nuts and... wonderful!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally know what I'm doing with the 5 onions I already have sitting in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't tried cooking onions like that solo, but I do lurvs me all three of my iron skillets - Papa size for cheese crisps and tortillas and fried taters, Momma size for ample stir fry for one and Baby size, just perfect for a single egg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would, but those onions would taste sooooo good on a burger or hot dog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only onions i love are caramelized. Raw onions are blech.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy!

    I make mine in a cast iron skillet, too.

    Blessings!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! Those look so good. When I am feeling better I am going to make some.

    ReplyDelete