Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Potato-Gorgonzola Gratin

I wanted to post this recipe the other day but since I hadn't tried it out I didn't feel it was right. You know I'm all about honesty here. Probably way more honesty than any of you really want.

Then.....

I cooked, I ate, I loved!

This recipe is from The Best of Cooking Light, 2004. So it can't be all bad for you. Unlike most of my recipes.

Truly, I love most everything cheese and cheese related. When you combined a starch with a cheese you have heaven in my book. Added value is that the calorie count is fairly low. It RAWKS!


Potato-Gorgonzola Gratin

2 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme.
2 1/2 cups fat-free milk
3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
14 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
Cooking spray
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in thyme. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk; cook over medium heat until slightly thick (about 3 minutes), stirring constantly. Stir in Gorgonzola; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

3. Arrange one-fourth of potatoes in bottom of a 13 X 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, and spoon about 3.4 cup sauce over potatoes. Repeat layers twice, and arrange remaining potato slices over sauce. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup).

For any of you HASAY members here are the numbers:
Calories 254 (28% from fat); Fat 7.9g; Protein 10.6g; Carbs 36.8g; Fiber 2.8g; Chol. 22mg; Iron 1.5mg; Sodium 751mg; Calc 228mg.


This recipe is a real cooking time hog. Please plan accordingly unlike I did. Otherwise you are serving dinner at 7:30p.m. right in the middle of a new House episode. Which makes the husband and the boy take their plates into the living room so they don't miss a minute. And, you sit at the dinning room table all by yourself nursing a glass of wine. Well, not really. They put in a quick appearance at the table.

Unless you like to eat dinner at 7:30p.m. then this could be a weeknight favorite for you.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

Love,
M

P.S. JR went back to not pushing his chair in tonight. I've been vindicated!

8 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy. Taters plus cheese = love in my book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, I heart gratin! Can I substitute 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter'? I want to try this recipe! Maybe my beautiful wife will let me into the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I needed just such a recipe.

    Blessings!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy hell that looks good. I just sent the link to my husband since he's the cook in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really, really good! One more time, THANKS FOR SHARING!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so maybe your recipe is SLIGHTLY yummier than mine. I'll give you that. But I think you could use the potatoes and the cheese as a follow up mask to my green shake spa treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds so good. I'll have to admit my eyes glazed over during the cooking bit, it's a genetic thing, but I still want to eat it.

    And your pin-up girls? HAWT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot believe it's only 254 calories. I was going to make it regardless, but still good to know.

    ReplyDelete