Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lentils and Barley Casserole & Tagged

I've been tagged by Kath. I'm not sure I understand this whole thing but it seems that you have to tell everyone 6 quirky things about you and tag 6 other bloggers. I have no problem with the 6 quirky things part. I'll probably have a harder time limiting myself to just 6 things . It's the tagging 6 other bloggers that I'm having a problem with. I don't really know 6 other bloggers to tag without re-tagging the one that tagged me and tagging bloggers that have already been tagged. Is re-tagging like re-gifting? Is it acceptable? Will I alienate those bloggers that I have been skulking around lately by tagging them? I'm so conflicted!

I'm sure Kath never imagined that I would find this tagging thing a panic attack waiting to happen for me. I'm sure that others were not in the least bothered. They came up with their 6 things and 6 bloggers with the ease of a warm knife cutting through butter. Obviously, I have issues. Instead of 6 quirky things about me maybe I should write about 6 things that make me perform a gut-wrenching, mess-with-my-head self evaluation that is sure to send me to a psychotherapist. Oh my goodness, how neurotic am I?

Another thing about this tagging business is that it kind of reminds me of a chain letter. Which I find a little worrisome. I made it a policy/vow in the 70's that I wouldn't participate in chain letters. Would tagging be breaking my self-imposed rule? While I'm trying to come to grips with this part of the whole scheme I will tell all of you 6 quirky things about me. Like you haven't figured out 6 all by yourself.

1. I don't wear a watch. I took my watch off in 1979 and it never went back on. Actually I refuse to wear a watch. My reasoning is that my life shouldn't be dictated by a man-made object on my wrist. When did a clothing accessory become so powerful?

2. I am rarely if ever late. It can't be because I keep good track of time. See item 1.

3. I have anxiety issues. Can you tell? If not re-read the first paragraph.

4. At 47 I decided to get a tattoo. Getting a tattoo isn't really quirky (especially for a librarian) but waiting so long to get one is a little. I had always said that if I ever got a tattoo it would have to be something that would look good even as the body part it was on succumbed to gravity. Think long stemmed flower or tree or eel. Did I get any of these things? Nope, I got a tattoo of my undergraduate university logo.

5. I love Blues music. Which means that I like Eric Clapton's newer stuff better than his older "Cream" stuff.

6. I enjoy Romance novels so much more than classic literature. This has something to do with emotional investment. We don't really want to go there.

I have really know idea who I would tag. So I thought I'd pick on family first. Because, They still have to love me. So if I've tagged you please don't hate me for I'm still really conflicted about this whole thing. And, if you don't mind being tagged than ignore all the stuff in paragraphs 1 & 2. I've rationalized it as bringing more exposure to each of your blogs.

1. Val (my daughter-in-law)
2. Ben (my son)
3. Mum-me
4. pearlsandchocolate

Okay, I think that's all I've got. Sure I follow a bunch of different blogs but we're talking about exposure here. It's not that I don't want to tag all the blogs I read & comment on but I'm having an anxiety issue. I really need to change gears. Let's talk about food. I'm all about food. I like food a lot.

I served this last night for friends and family. They seemed to like it. There was hardly any left. Oh Val, remind me to give you your leftovers.

Lentils and Barley Casserole

2 cups lentils; cooked & cooled
2 cups pearl barley; uncooked
1 small can tomato sauce
1 cup carrots; chopped
1 cup onion; chopped
1 clove garlic; minced
1/2 cup celery; chopped
1/2 cup zucchini; chopped
1/2 cup green pepper; chopped
4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons smoked sweet pepper powder
2 eggs; beaten
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup water
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cook and cool lentils per directions on the package.

Melt butter or heat olive oil in a fry pan. Saute carrots, onion, peppers, zucchini, garlic, and celery until just soft. Allow to cool.

In a big bowl combine veggies, lentils, barley, beaten eggs, and spices. If casserole ingredients look too dry add some broth or milk. It should be the consistency of a very thick stew. Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray. Pour in casserole ingredients.

Combined Bisquick, water, and egg. This is kind of soupy. Pour over the casserole. It should cover quite a bit of the casserole. This way everyone can have some. If you have to make more crust go for it. (I think that adding a little sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped onions would be great) If you don't have Bisquick any biscuit recipe would work. Just make it a little bit runny.

Bake for 45 minutes. Serves 6.


Enjoy

Love,
M

2 comments:

  1. I didnt intend to distress you!!! I was certain tho that you had some quirks to share. LOL

    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your quirks! I also love your quirky sense of humor!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete