Pages

Friday, September 26, 2008

Yours Till

My MIL (mother-in-law) went to college in Denver, Colorado at the Colorado Women's College. Back in 1929 to 1931 (the years she attended, I think) it was an all girls college. Later this college was absorbed into one of the other universities close by (I'm not sure which one). There must have been a men's college close by as there seems to be a lot of fraternization between the two (you should see her scrapbook. Some other time.)

When my MIL graduated (I haven't got a clue what her degree was. From her report cards, which I have and will have to share sometime, she must have got some sort of general studies degree) she had several of her friends and classmates sign her favorite book. "When We Were Very Young" by A. A. Milne.

These are some (not all. You'll thank me later) of those that signed it with "Yours till..."


"If you were drowning-Yours till the Mexican Border pays rent" Don
(So they were concerned with immigration also? )


"Dear Margaret: If in Heaven we don't meet Hand in hand we'll face the heat
Yours till Donaldson thinks I deserve A+ in Gen Sci and gives it to me." Marie H "Freshie" 33"
(Donaldson must have been one tough teacher. There are a couple of references to this teacher giving out A+'s.)

"Yours till the Rock of Gilbralter has Pebbles!" Bryant Herson
(This one makes a bit of sense.)

(Two for the price of one on this page.)
"Yours 'till they sell listerine to polar pets," Casper Sands

"Yours till Niagara Falls" Leonard Benjamin
(Now, I don't know about you but I get the bottom one but the top one???)


"Your till apples grow on lilac trees" Florence Lund '30
(Then there is a goofy poem by someone else but I'll have to do the goofy poems at another time. Trust me there are a ton of those also.)


"Yours till my Adams turns to venigar" Burke-Freshman 1927 Senior 31????
(I do not even understand this one and Burke's spelling was atrocious. No wonder there are question marks by the graduation date.)

(Now this one is a little racy! Just remember I didn't write it. I'm just the translator here.)

"Hickory, dickory dock
Two mice ran up your sock
One stopped at the garter
The other was smarter
Hickory, dickory dock.

Did you ever see a cow-slip
under a fence? Yours till
a life saver sinks"
Carol

I think I'll leave you with that.

Yours till some other time,
M

3 comments:

  1. I am cracking up! Tears -- and I am NOT making this up -- are streaming down my face!

    Oh my goodness!

    "No wonder there are question marks by the graduation date."

    I rolled! Oh my goodness!

    Blessings and thanks for your comment on the blog!

    Blessings!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Détente in a dish!"

    You are hilarious! Why have I only just discovered your blog? Why? Why? Why?


    You are fantastic!

    -Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was quite a read!! LOL What a neat treasure.

    The question marks by the grad date is a hoot!!

    Glad you met Lacy as she is a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete