Pages

Friday, April 11, 2008

Scones


This is the best scone recipe I’ve ever come across. Trust me I’ve tried a bunch! You should hear the whining from the homeboys.

It has become a Sunday morning tradition. Though, not every Sunday morning! My homeboys would then take it for granted that we had to have them every Sunday. No! I want them to think of them as a treat. So, when I do make them I’m a hero. And, as I keep saying, “it’s all about me!” Someday someone will believe that.

It was given to me by my mother-in-law back before JR & I got married. She got it from her Aunt Pearl. Even with all the genealogy work I’ve done I still haven’t come across an Aunt Pearl yet. Imaginary friend?

Give it a try!

Scones

Sift together:
2 1/2 cup flour*
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

Cut in:

¾ cup butter*

Combine:
1 egg slightly beaten & fill cup with sour milk* to make 1 cup.

Save a little of this mix to put on top of each scone then sprinkle with sugar.

**optional items: Gently fold in these now.

Drop or “shape” on baking sheet with depression in center (heaping tablespoon 2 inches apart.

Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

* I’ve been known to mix this up a bit. I’ve used half flour and half cake or quick bread mix. Just remember to cut down on the baking powder & baking soda by just a little.

* You could use shortening or margarine if you have it on hand though I really don’t use either of them. Another option I like is to use half butter and half fruit flavored cream cheese.

* Sour milk: If you don’t have sour milk. Fill cup with milk and add 1 tsp of white vinegar before you start putting all the other ingredients together. When you are ready for the milk it will be sour. Another option is to add a tablespoon or 2 of sour cream to the milk. Buttermilk is also a great option.

** Some people put raisins, cranberries, orange zest, dried fruit, etc into their scones. I tend not to because my family prefers them plain with jam. Sometimes I sneak in a little fruit or nut flavored liqueur or flavoring, or a tablespoon of pumpkin pie filling, or a tablespoon of frozen fruit juice concentrate into the milk mixture for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment