Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Halloumi cheese

I posted on Facebook last night that I had a passion for fried halloumi cheese. A couple of friends mentioned that they had never heard of it so I thought I'd give a little background.

We first had fried halloumi cheese (though I didn't know what it was at the time) at Disney World Epcot Center Food and Wine Festival. We fell in love! This and a glass of Greek wine and I was ready to pack my bags and head to Cyprus (where it was originally from).

Halloumi cheese is a slightly salty Greek cheese. It is made with a mixture of goat and sheep milk. It is firm enough to brush with a little olive oil and grill. It has a sort of chewy texture with a big mouth feel. I think it is kind of hearty and rustic. Sort of like me.

This is the brand that I buy because
1. it is vegetarian
2. I can find it at my local market
3. it isn't so expensive that I'll overdraw our checking account buying a small hunk and usually that is all we need.

If your market doesn't have it there are places online to order it which I suggest you do. Just Google it. (I know! I can't believe I just typed that. I hope the librarian police don't come after me.)

Traditionally, it is grilled and served with watermelon and mint. What a great summer salad that would make! I've never done it this way but I think that is in our immediate future. I may even get crazy grill the watermelon.

The way I've had it and made it is a couple of different ways.

1. Fried with honey and pistachios. This is what we had at Epcot Center. You fry the cheese with a little olive oil or butter then top with a little honey and chopped pistachios. AWESOME! The salty cheese with the honey is fabulous. Add the crunch of the pistachios...yeah, I want this right now!

2. Stacked (and this is how we had it last night). I grilled eggplant (you could use a grilled portabella mushroom also) that I marinaded in a vinaigrette of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and Italian seasoning (or really whatever I've got around). Grilled the cheese and made an aoli from the leftover marinade and mayonnaise. Here is how I stacked it up; place the grilled eggplant slice on a bed of fresh spinach the, next stack the grilled cheese, on top of that add a thick tomato slice and finish with a tablespoon of the aoli. This was terrific and very filling. It would make a great vegetarian burger if you put it between a bun. I tend to stay away from bread so we had ours bun-less.

There are plenty of other recipes out there in on the interwebs just G-word it. You can also use this cheese in place of feta or even mozzarella.

Now, if you need all the nutritional deets about this cheese Livestrong's got them. I'm far less concerned about that. My theory is; it is not off limits if it tastes great and we eat it in moderation.

If you get the chance try this cheese.

Love,
M

PS: thanks to whoever posted the above image on Google images.

11 comments:

  1. If you're raving about it this much, I am going to have to try some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore Halloumi cheese. Alas, if there's one thing I'll take away from this Whole30, it's that I am far better off cutting dairy out of my diet completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, no dairy is sad, I mean it is great the you found out but still sad. I love me some dairy. Though I have to say I eat and drink less of it these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love different cheeses. Finding it here in the void might be troublesome. I still have issues with ordering food online. The postal service and shipping companies are less than reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I have to try! We love a simple bread and cheese dinner, with olives and maybe a few raw veggies every so often. (usually when I don't feel like cooking) I have my husband convinced this is very European and , as long as there is wine, he's on board!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in the day when I could eat cheese without it gripping my heart is a vice of Anaphylaxis. My go to cheese was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roquefort . I still miss it. It was an utter joy to put into a stew. It just did something to it. On the Halloumi, I always found it a bit tasteless and rubbery, and salty. I never tried to grill it though. That may change it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. Will look for it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will absolutely try this! I love, love cheese. This is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Home and loving it....time to cook again.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete