Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Curried vegetable stuffed portabella mushrooms

So I promised a couple of readers/friends that I would give them some knock out recipes that were vegetarian and lowish carb. This is the first of them. 

If you like to eat something that is low fuss but high in the running nose spicy side like we do than this is the dish for you. While it is a complete meal in and of itself serving it with a salad with a very light dressing would not come amiss. 

You can mix this recipe up. Like it fiery? Add more curry powder. Don't have the exact vegetables called for? Use whatever you have. No tofu? Hard boiled eggs will work. Don't have raisins? pfft. Use craisins. The only thing that stays constant is the Portabella mushrooms and the apples.

Sure it looks like it's got lots of ingredients and an ugly bit of instructions but really it is just a bunch of chopping and 2 pans.


as you can tell I'm no food photographer



Curried Vegetable Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

1/4 cup golden raisins
3 tablespoons olive oil - to saute vegetables in
1/2 cup onion, chopped 
1/2 cup yellow squash, cubed
1/2 cup zucchini, cubed
1/4 cup bell pepper, any color, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1/3 pound extra firm tofu, chopped, squeezed of water and crumbled
1/2 Granny Smith or any ole green apple, 1/2" cubes
5 medium Portabella mushrooms
1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with chilies and the liquid
or
1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes w/liquid
2 green chile peppers such as jalapenos or poblanos, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder


Instructions
1. Soak raisins in water to cover for about 30 minutes. While you are waiting for them.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If you have a cast iron or oven safe fry pan place it in the oven to heat up. Otherwise, coat a casserole dish with a generous amount of olive oil. If you are using a cast iron pan add 4 tablespoons or so to the pan 5 minutes before the stuffing mixture is ready. You want to heat up the oil but don't want to burn it.
3. Chop all the veggies. Saute over medium heat in a deep fry pan coated in olive oil for 5 or 10 minutes. This is a chop and toss process. Chop up the veg; toss in the fry pan.
4. Chop tofu in 1/2" cubes. Over the sink, take a handful of tofu and squeeze out as much of the water that you can. Crumble and toss in the pan with the veggies. 
5. Add can of tomatoes w/chilies (or the diced tomatoes and chopped chile peppers), apples, and the curry powder to the fry pan. Stir until well blended. Cover and cook over low heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Add raisins.
6. Remove stems and scrap gills from mushrooms. I find a spoon is the best utensil for this job. Place in heated up cast iron pan or casserole stem side up, if it still had the stem that is. It will make a sweet little bowl.
7. Stuff the veggie mixture in each of the mushrooms. I should really say heap this mixture into each of the mushrooms. The mixture might be a little watery so I suggest using a slotted spoon. Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
Serves 5


You can make these ahead and store in the refrigerator until you want to bake them. Just put them in the casserole pan and cover with cling wrap. I like to let them come up to almost room temperature before I put them in the oven. Maybe it's me but I get a little freaked about putting a cold pan in the pre-heated oven. 





I'd love to give you all the stats on this but to tell you the truth I haven't got a clue what they are. What I can tell you is that is hasn't got any grains or potatoes and the sugar from the raisins and apple is natural so that has got to count for lowish carbs.




Please enjoy.
Love,
M

12 comments:

  1. Hmm, a sort of a Ratatouille then, only with apples.
    Why are you scooping out the gills. And is the tofu stuff obscure or is it generally available in the average supermarket. I ask for I've never seen it, but then I've never looked for it either, in fairness. So Tesco might be dripping in the stuff for all I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vince; Buying tofu in the States is fairly easy. It is located in the refrigerated case of our local supermarket. I did a quick search and came up with a lot of hits about making your own. Weird! It looks like Tesco, health food stores, and Asian markets are your best bet. It can easily be frozen so if you are in a bigger city with a Whole Foods type store you could stock up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this early this morning and keep trying to comment, but the drool all over my keyboard keeps getting in the way.

    Hmmm...might be good with some sausage in place of the tofu; you know how I love me some pig. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the spice factor of this!! You're a talented cook, M!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds delicious! Thanks to John's new lease on eating, this may just make it into our arsenal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hard boiled eggs 'steada tofu?? Cool! Otherwise I'd have just used bacon. You know my stance on tofu. NOT!!! LoL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love curry and just bought some portabellas... so thank-you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan: I hate keyboard drool. It's just so hard to get out of between the keys. I thought you might sub some meat.

    Blue: We love us some spicy curry around here. Enjoy.

    SK: You've never quite explained John's new lease on eating. What is it and how is it working for you?

    Julie: I do know your stance on tofu. It is the same as JR's but he's learned to eat it. Not gracefully but he's learned.

    Pseudo: These two ingredients are like bestest friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh! Another good yum! Thanks, Michele!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, this one looks good too. Alas, today was the first day of summer break so there's no way I'll have time to try anything new. It's all about survival at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. NOM NOM!

    I just found a new side for steaks. You think I can grill them?

    Sorry, but you know I'm subbing pork for the tofu, but the whole recipe sounds fantabulous.

    I LOVE PORTABELLAS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be: Grilling them would work very well. Swap out the tofu. I would expect nothing less.

    ReplyDelete