I didn't have any random thoughts. Okay, I did but I'm getting old and if I don't write them down immediately I will forget them.
Then I usually forget where I put the paper down that I wrote them on.
Then I pull out my wallet to pay for a kolache and
then the small slip of paper falls out.
Then I remember what I wanted to tell you that was sooooo interesting that I had to write it down. I don't really buy kolaches. I don't think I've ever had a kolache. I'm not really sure what kolaches are but if kolaches are anything like beignets then I NEED one now!
So because I can't remember anything interesting to tell you and I don't have a kolache and I have a ton of crap that I should be documenting, for insurance purposes (Ha! Like I own anything worth insuring. Gotcha!), I'll show you 10 collections of old stuff I have hanging around my house. I dusted off the cobwebs so they are safe to touch.
Here are 10 interesting collections of stuff with accompanying photos that I kept from my Mother-in-laws house. Please ignore the crumbs on the placemats. It was the housekeepers day off. It seems to always be her day off. Gawd, she's lazy. All I can say is she's cheap. Toss her a fridge full of veggies and she's good to go. Go off and do nothing that is.
1. Two pendant watches, a tie pin made from some of the gold that JR's grandfather brought down from the Yukon in 1910, and my mother-in-laws' baby locket that her father gave her when she was one week old. Which would have been the first week of November 1912.
2. Old pin cushion shaped like a shoe. I'm not really a shoe kind of gal but this appealed to me. I have no idea why. Maybe I make some sort of connection between sharp pointy things and shoes. It is a complete waste of time trying to figure why I do keep something.
3. Two shoe button hooks. Why I kept these is anyone's guess. I personally like shoes that slip on. All that nasty tying of laces is just exhausting. Buttoning my shoes? Out-of-the-question!
4. A lock of my husband's baby curls and the bracelet his mother was given to wear at the hospital. Isn't that the sweetest thing? I have the bracelet that the nurses put on him in his baby book.
5. Gypsy witch cards. Probably one of the oddest things I ever found. No that's not true. The oddest thing would be the sex manual but this rates right up there.
6. Art deco playing cards. Pretty, no? I plan to frame a few of these. I love love love the box.
7. Salt and/or sugar cutter and tongs. I'm not really sure if these were for salt or sugar. Anyone? Doesn't matter, I think they are terrific. I think I'll hang them on the wall.
8. Silk stocking mending kit. Yeah, because I'll ever be wearing silk stockings. I barely wear socks and I never wear pantyhose. Nasty things...pantyhose.
9. Razor. I kept it because....I liked the peacock? I don't know but I won't be shaving my legs with this thing.
10. Pocket comb, pill box, and compact. The little round thing flips open to reveal a mirror and a place to put face powder. Pretty sweet. I kept these because they could be useful in a totally never going to be way. Wouldn't they be great in a shadowbox?
There you have it. Ten random collections of stuff that I kept for probably 10 random reasons that I can't remember now but I'll never get rid of any of them. (do you think a grammar class is in order? Me too.)
Go visit Keely and the gang over at The Unmom for more random posts.