Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It's been 4 years and I'll never forget the sound

The Boy and I moved to Phoenix, Arizona in July of 2006. It was hot. When I say hot I mean mind frying blood boiling breath sucking hot. 118 degrees on the day that we rolled into town. 50 degrees hotter than the 2 days before when we left Seattle, Washington. As we heard ad nauseum "but it's a dry heat". Let me tell you from first hand experience, hot is hot. We were totally prepared. HA!

Like any bright people we went to the zoo on what had to be the second hottest day of the year. The first being the day we drove into town. Did we take water? Nope. Did we wear hats? Nope. Did we go really early in the day? Yep. Hey, one out of three is .....er....really bad. We didn't suffer heat stroke so that's a win.

Strange things happen to me when I go to the zoo. One time when my friend Sandy, our moms and I went to the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle the monkeys decided that it was the perfect time for an orgy. There is nothing that embarrasses a teenage girl more then having her mom around when the monkeys decide to do the wild thing.

So The Boy and I went to the zoo.



We saw the monkeys.
They didn't do anything awkward.
I was happy.
We heard a strange loud high pitched grunting sound.
It wasn't coming from the monkeys.


We saw the macaws.
They were brightly colored.
We heard a strange loud high pitched grunting sound.
It wasn't coming from the macaws.




We went to the Savanna exhibit.
There were giraffes.
Giraffes are cool.
There were those little deer things.
There was that big horned cow thing.
We heard a strange loud high pitched grunting sound.
It wasn't coming from the giraffes, deer, or giant cow.




We saw the little turtles.
They were sunning themselves.
I don't think they worry about skin cancer.
We heard a strange loud high pitched grunting sound.
It wasn't coming from the cute little turtles.




We saw the giant turtles.
Um...er...
We heard a strange loud high pitched grunting sound.
It was coming from the giant male turtle on top of the other giant female turtle.
Doing the wild thing.
Doing the wild thing very loudly.
Loudly enough to be heard in every part of the zoo.



Funniest thing was the little boy asking his dad;
"Daddy, why is that turtle making that loud noise?"
The look on the dad's face was priceless.

I had flashbacks of that day at the Woodland Park zoo many many years before.
How would you have answered the little boy's question?

Love,
M




12 comments:

  1. Nothing like a picture of two turtles getting it on to begin my day. For that, I thank you. Cheers Michele!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all the animal shots! Hysterical that you could hear the turtles 'doing it' all over the zoo... They were just wrestling, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tell him what Mousie told us when we were at the free-range zoo a few years ago and the male tortoise was chasing the female (they can go a lot faster than you'd think!) and every time he caught up with her he tried to put his front feet on her back. Mousie said, "Look Mummy, the turtle wants a piggyback!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turtle sex. That'll wake you right up.

    Which I needed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot turtle sex!

    When taking the kids to the zoo there's always a risk that the animals will be doing what animals do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would the dad say?
    "He's compensating. So, where are the monkeys?"
    If the noise was coming from the female,
    "She's faking it."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard this! Once, Jimmy and I were in a wildlife preserve in Barbados, and there they were two giant tortoises going at it. It was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um... they're having a fight? And I grew up in a desert and always hated that dry heat bs. Dry heat is just trying to kill you faster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have liked to see his face...I'll bet every emotion in the world swirled right over it. That would have been better that all the cool animals there.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to comment on this yesterday but Blogger wouldn't let me comment on soo many blogs.
    We saw 2 large turtles in this same condition when my kids were little. The adults were gathered, shamelessly gwawking. My son asked and I said they were makiing babies. They don't remember but I do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol! I'd probably go with the truth. Though, "She's in his way and he's trying to climb over her because he's not bright enough to realize he can go around," would be a tempting reply also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard this! Once, Jimmy and I were in a wildlife preserve in Barbados, and there they were two giant tortoises going at it. It was crazy!

    ReplyDelete