Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

What's in a quote?

This weeks Spin Cycle is about quotes. I'm going with the assumption that it is favorite quotes. I know it is going to sound odd but I like quotes about books, libraries and librarians. If those quotes include libraries, librarian, books and booze I am in heaven.

One of the reasons I love quotes about librarians (besides the fact that I am one of course) is that they break down the hair bun, sensible shoes, glasses wearing stereotype of librarians. Most of us are not like that.

Here are some of my favorites.


~Louis Stanley Jast~ Perhaps the two most valuable and satisfactory products of American civilization are the librarian on the one hand and the cocktail in the other. (JR is getting a T-shirt with this quote on it)

~Spider Robinson~ Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don’t ever piss one off. (This is the truth. We can make things very difficult for you)


~ Joseph Brodsky ~There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.


~ Emilie Buchwald ~ Children are made readers on the laps of their parents. (Very true. Please read to your kids)


My all time favorite quote was one that was given to me after having a lovely dinner and visit with The Stiletto Mom. A truly lovely evening made even better with this ending.

Give me books, fruit, French wine and fine weather and a little music out of doors, played by someone I do not know.

~ John Keats ~


Everyone please go visit Sprite's Keeper for all the other spinners.

Hey Jen, how about this? 2 weeks in a row. What are the odds?

Love,

M

11 comments:

  1. I like your quotes. I am very nice to all the librarians I know .... but particularly the one who controlled the manuscripts at the Conservatorium and had huge mood swings. Some days a bunch of flowers from my neighbour's garden was the only thing that would get me any Beethoven from the locked cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to move to Texas. For the winters. I don';t think I'd survive the summers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would be the LAST person (to say nothing of librarian) I'd want to piss off. No, ma'am - I'm stayin' on your good side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the odds are one in a million, but then again, you are as well. :-)
    I love the Keats quote, more especially Brodsky. So true.
    You're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not reading books IS a crime! I agree with that quote. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quotes but mostly I like the picture. Wondering why Keats mustn't know the musician also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my favorite quote:

    You always get more with honey than with vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the one about NOT reading books! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makes me think that Keats knew ALL the musicians!

    Great quotes and a great spin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite nights as well...no idea where my little quote went but it wasn't as good as yours anyway!

    ReplyDelete