Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Librarians


I'm a librarian.
I like to think of myself like this one.


Not the kind that wraps her hair up in a bun, wears sensible shoes, and shushes everyone. I like to think of myself and my fellow librarians as people with attitude. With this thought in mind I gathered some quotes about librarians.


[Librarians] are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them.
-Michael Moore
(this is so true)



Lose the image of the hair up in a bun. Old Maid is just another card game to them, and some actually have tattoos and wear more than two earrings.
--The article: A look at the secret lives of librarians
(I know several librarians with tattoos, myself included)


"Librarians are at the heart of opposition to foolish, dangerous, misguided attempts at censoring human expression in our free country. I thank God for their efforts."
-- Author Clyde Edgerton

"I think that librarians get a bum rap. They're constantly represented as these staid do-gooders, hair in a bun, glasses on the nose. In fact, librarians have better eyesight than most professionals."
--Alan Kurzweil
("Fresh Air" interview (NPR), 20 October 2001)

"Libraries are brothels for the mind. Which means that librarians are the madams, greeting punters, understanding their strange tastes and needs, and pimping their books."
--Guy Browning
(The Guardian column, 18 October 2003. Submitted by Lynette in Queensland)

"Show me a computer expert that gives a damn, and I'll show you a librarian."
--Patricia Wilson Berger
(Quoted in Chicago Tribune article, 29 June 1990, Tempo section, p. 1)

"I must say that I find television very educational.
The minute somebody turns it on,
I go to the library and read a book."
- Groucho Marx

Richard Needham:
For a well-rounded education, you could try curling up with good books and bad librarians.
(Jr is getting a t-shirt with this saying on it)

Louis Stanley Jast:
Perhaps the two most valuable and satisfactory products of American civilization are the librarian on the one hand and the cocktail in the other.
(or maybe this one)

Spider Robinson:
Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don’t ever piss one off.

Hope you found these enlightening. If you find more out there let me know.

Love,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment