Pages

Friday, May 9, 2008

Whiskey Cookies

Just over a decade ago I was blessed with all my mother-in-laws recipes. I remember weeks of culling recipes; some were handwritten by people who were long since gone; Grandmothers, Aunts, and friends. Some were cut out of magazines and newspapers and still others were passed down on 3" x 5" cards, lovingly given as gifts for bridal showers. There were 9" x 11" manila envelopes filled with just zucchini or just lentil or just beef recipes. I wish that I had been able to keep them all. I still have probably three shipping boxes full of cookbooks, notebooks, and loosely bound recipes that I have dragged from place to place as we have moved. JR has finally given up trying to get me to get rid of them or at least pare them down even further. It just can't be done. They are my connection to his mother and through her her mother and grandmother because if there was one thing that we all shared in common was our love of cooking.

OK, enough about that, let's get to the recipe.

Whiskey Cookies
1/2 pound butter
2 cups brown sugar
l large egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in
1 tablespoon whiskey
(JR will be happy to know that I only use his best Irish whiskey for this recipe)

Combined all ingredients. Form into rolls (I usually wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or so. This makes them easier to cut) Slice about 1/4" thick. Bake at 375 degrees until set and the edges are lightly brown. (Like most of the recipes I inherited it actually doesn't say how long so I've had to play with it a bit. It seems about 10 to 12 minutes is good)
Sometimes I like to frost them. Cream cheese frosting with a little whiskey as flavoring is good. Frosting between two cookies like a sandwich is also an option, think Oreo with a kick.

Enjoy,
M



No comments:

Post a Comment