Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tomato-Basil Pork Chops

My friend Lisa reminded me that I promised to tell everyone about my tomato-basil pork chops. I personally can't attest to how good these were but I will say that they were "let's have second portions" for the homeboys. I'm really not sure why, they don't normally like pork in any of its adaptations. So here is the recipe that made my homeboys salivate.

Tomato-Basil Pork Chops

4 pork chops (you pick what kind you want. Me, I pick the cheapest. Of course, I'm a vegetarian so I don't care)

1 box Knorr brand Tomato-Basil soup mix (I suspect that you could use any dry mix for this. I say be creative).
4 cups water
1 cup rice
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped

Place the pork chops in the crock pot. They do not need to be fully thawed. Just enough to split them up into individual portions is enough. (since I am cheap I buy things on sale then freeze them for future use which makes thawing things always an issue). BTW, I don't like to touch this kind of stuff so anything that I can slip out of the bag and into a crock pot/pot/pan/baking dish works for me.

Mix together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the pork chops. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. My recipe said 6 to 8 hours. Trust me, this was way too much time. They were done a whole lot sooner. The meat should fall off the bone but the rice should not be mush. There is always this fine line. Please don't cross it. No one will enjoy the results.

Ok, so all you meat eaters should be happy with this one. In the future I plan to do a whole series (librarian term for a bunch) of recipes that are inexpensive and easy. And just to mix things up I will throw in a few vegetarian ones just to mess with your heads. Cuz, that's just the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment