Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Huevos Rancheros Recipe


This is possibly the best way to have eggs. JR, The Boy & I will eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner.. Just not all on the same day. I mean really beans three times in one day? Don't light a match! As The Boy used to say when he flushed the toilet; "It's gonna BLOW!" (wasn't he a cute 4 year old?). If you don't like eggs just blow right on past this post (Kath this is you right?).

This recipe not only rates as yummy but it does so cheaply (no, I'm not cheap the dish is. Oh wait, I am cheap. TMI).

I mix it up a bit with whatever ingredients I have on hand. No corn tortillas in the house; I use flour. No refried beans; go for black beans (our personal favorite anyway). No chili sauce; tomato sauce, a can of green chilies, and chili powder. Dip a finger in that bad boy to taste. Hot enough? Add hot sauce.

Huevos Rancheros

4 corn tortillas
vegetable oil for frying
1 1/2 cups refried beans
4 to 8 eggs, fried
1/2 cup red or green chili sauce
1 cup shredded yellow or white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, diced
1 avocado, sliced, diced or mashed

Dip tortillas into hot oil for 2 seconds; drain on paper towels. Arrange tortillas on individual ovenproof plates. Place in a warm oven. 200 or 225 degrees will do. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the frying pan. Add beans and cook, stirring until heated throughout; spread over tortillas.

Fry eggs in skillet to your preference (me; I go for runny. JR likes his a little hard). You want them a little under done. Arrange one or two eggs over each tortilla; pour sauce on top. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas. Broil until cheese is melted.

Pretty it up with the lettuce and tomato around the tortilla. Top with a little sour cream and a whole lot of avocado. Okay, you may not be a big avocado eater. Though personally I don't understand this phenomena I do realize that there are some out there that just don't like it. Around these parts we eat no less than 6 to 9 per week. I could eat my weight in guacamole.

Serves 4.

With all the bells and whistles this serves 4 for about $1.25 each. That rates as seriously cheap eats.

So why try this recipe?
  1. Yummy! (Enuf said)
  2. cheap ($5 for 4 people. You can't get take out for that)
  3. good for you (all you egg Nazis out there. They are not bad for you in moderation. Moderation in just about everything is good. Except crack that's just bad for you)
  4. opportunity to smear avocado on something (besides my thighs)
  5. one skillet = very little clean up (this is definitely slacker food)
Enjoy

Love,
M


P.S. photo scanned from my Benson & Hedges presents Recipes From American's Favorite Resorts

7 comments:

  1. Cheap AND for slackers? I'm a big fan. THanks for sharing. The presentation is really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to ask if you took that picture when I saw the disclaimer at the bottom. Yum. I've never had Huevos Rancheros but it looks good. Damn, you always make me hungry when I stop by here and I'm holed up in the bedroom so I don't wake the kids so I can't go get food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! Trying this SOON!

    My word verification is spords. Which is almost like sporks, which you sometimes get at cheap restaurants run by slackers... just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you're killing me! I would give anything for that right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I want some right now, too. The recipe is printed out and ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look so good , i want try as soon as posible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want some right now, too. The recipe is printed out and ready.

    ReplyDelete